by Dr. Will Bruce
“Why do we say: “Brothers and sisters, pray for us”? There are many reasons, including those listed below. The full-time missionary must have the intercessory missionary working with him on a regular, systematic basis. We cannot work independently in the salvation, discipling, and training of national leaders. 2 Cor. 10:4.”
For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but divinely powerful for the destruction of fortresses. 2 Corinthians 10:4
1) The missionary is invading enemy territory Pray that souls will be released from Satan’s bondage and will put their trust in Christ. Pray that the missionary will recognize the attacks of the Adversary and use Scriptural weapons in the battle.
2) The missionary faces many frustrations Pray for the missionary to be graciously flexible and able in very practical ways to obey the injunction of Philippians 4:6 (worry about nothing, pray about everything).
3) The missionary has need of self-knowledge Pray that the missionary will learn to submit his own desires and inclinations to God’s Holy Spirit, and then that the fruit of the Spirit will be more and more apparent in the life of the missionary. Pray that he will understand and appropriate all he has and is in Christ.
4)The missionary faces loneliness Pray that the missionary will experience fellowship with God in new and satisfying ways
5) The missionary must remember the meaning of being a missionary Pray that the missionary will have the humility of Christ as described in Philippians 2:5-8.
6) The missionary’s need for stability Pray that in each of these areas the missionary will develop mature stability. Pray that the missionary will get his true identity and self-worth from who he is in Christ and not from success or what others think or say about him
7) The missionary’s insight needs to be sharpened Pray that the missionary will have a heightened sympathy and insight into the heart-needs of those around him. Pray, too, that he will have insight and heavenly wisdom to know what God would have him undertake, and how He would have him go about it.
8) The missionary needs good interpersonal relationships Pray that in this important area the missionary will be surrendered to God and sensitive to the prompting of the Holy Spirit. Pray that he will see his own personal needs. And that couples would love each other with agape love seeking the highest good rather than claiming their rights.
9) The missionary’s need to be filled with the Spirit Pray that the missionary will be able to obey the injunction of Ephesians 5:18; Galatians 5:16,25 (“Be filled with the Spirit …” and therefore, walk in the Spirit) and that he will always keep short account with God (1 John 1:9), be aware of Satan’s deceptions and hate all sin
10) The missionary’s health problems Pray that God will keep the missionary in that condition of health that will best glorify Him.
11) The missionary’s travel Pray for safety in travel.
12) The missionary’s children Pray for the health of missionary children. Pray that both parents will be godly role models and will do all they can to help their children develop godly self-worth. Pray that parents may have wisdom in providing for their education. Pray that children, as well as parents, will have a good understanding and attitude should separation become necessary for schooling. Pray especially that the children will not let any bitterness take root because of separation
13) The missionary’s constant need to show love Pray that at all times, in all circumstances, with all people, we will take that which God has so fully and freely provided. “God has given … TAKE.”
14) Share the missionary’s burden for additional workers, both national and foreign Pray that many more at home and on the foreign field would become co-workers to gather in the harvest and disciple those who are coming to Christ